Monday, November 21, 2016

Installing a Cruise Control - Introduction

Driving in Australia is beautiful for most part, until you "go with the flow" and end up being the unfortunate to stop for not obeying the speed signs. Fines are hefty, might really ruin your day, and if your luck would run out might have caught during a double demerit period, and here goes half of your licence worth of points down the drain just like that. I set cruise even at 60km/h zone, which frees me checking vigorously for the cams and cops hiding in the bushes. I got used to it, so cruise is not a luxury for me any more, its a necessity. 

When hitting the road for longer journeys, along the boring highways, cruise is your friend saving sanity and more importantly saving some serious dollars on fuel in the guzzling 6 cylinders of the Elgrand. 

My Elgrand, which is an E51 Series 2 manufactured in 2007, didn't come with a cruse control. The asking price for such an installation wouldn't go under $1000. My research revealed I have at least 3 options;
  1. Second-hand original Nissan unit
  2. Aftermarket unit, which resembles original one
  3. Aftermarket throttle modifier system, which has dash mounted control buttons
I was in search of a second-hand unit, but it was not easy to source one. Wreckers who got an Elgrand in the stock told me either cruise is not there or its already sold.
I didn't like the dash mounted system, as its nothing like the original, and looks clumsy. That's just me, but it can be very well adored by somebody else.

Then I found a product "Autostrada", who make nearly identical aftermarket unit, which nicely fits to the steering wheel. That's an Australian product, which I know I can depend upon. Paid $695 shipped to the door within few days.

So that's the preface, and the rest of the blog will be on how I installed the system. I will be updating on next steps as time permits. Please do check back....

WARNING!

I would not recommend anybody to follow this, but you may get some insight into what's involved in installing a similar cruise control system into an Elgrand. If you choose to depend on the information here, please be warned, you are on your own, and do not blame me for blowing something up, killing your car's ECU or getting yourself injured in the process. This procedure involves removing the Airbag, which is a highly dangerous activity, if you do not know what you are doing. Auto technicians get hours of training on this task along, so do your own research, take all the precautions on the book, and do not attempt if you are unclear of anything.  

This is not a installation guide, and I am not responsible for any damage caused!!

No comments:

Post a Comment